The Legislation Committee is releasing its first one-pager titled “Regulatory College vs Professional Association.
If you would like to join the Legislation Committee please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
For the PDF Download of this one-pager, please click here.
An important step towards regulation is your voice!
Join our ongoing campaign for regulation of CYC practice in Ontario!
As an organization dedicated to the care of the young, one of our top priorities has been to establish regulation of our profession. Currently, we are unregulated and anyone can call themselves a Child and Youth Care Practitioner, which is concerning as the children and youth whom we aim to support are put at risk if caregivers are insufficiently trained and monitored. Over the past few years, we have taken numerous steps to ensure a standardized set of competencies and qualitative standards are in place for all professional Child and Youth Care Practitioners.
As we seek to obtain regulation for our profession, the OACYC has:
- Adopted a professional child and youth care certification standard as a means of assessing competency. We feel this is foundational in ensuring that all practitioners have the necessary skill set to deal competently with children and youth.
- Drafted a Proposal requesting government recognition as a regulated profession in the Province of Ontario.
- Developed and obtained signed petitions from citizens of Ontario who are in support of regulating the child and youth care profession.
- Collected dozens of letters of support from across the province in favour of legislation.
- Requested all concerned practitioners and general public to continue building momentum to encourage the Ministry of Children, Community and Social Services and the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care to draft regulation.