BECOME A MEMBER
*please be advised that you must login to renew your membership.
If you did not have a membership in the 2019-2020 year, you must fill out a New Membership Application.
Membership processing takes 2-4 weeks. You will receive a letter and tax receipt, certificate, membership card and annual sticker with all new applications and renewals.
Please note that mailing and processing times take longer than usual for mailed applications during the current pandemic situation.
To meet your accessibility needs, a paper copy of the New Member Application or Renewing Membership Application form can be requested by emailing email@example.com
SUBSIDIZED RATE ANNOUNCEMENT FOR MEMBERSHIP DUES
The Ontario Association of Child and Youth Care recognizes the financial hardships that have occurred as a result of the unprecedented COVID-19 pandemic that has gripped the world since March 2020. We foresee the impact of the uncertainty of employment continuing, with employers laying off or closing their businesses, all of which compounds the stresses already felt during this time.
Taking this situation into account, the Board of Directors would like to announce that for 2020-2021 memberships, we will be offering a limited number of memberships at a subsidized rate (50% off) starting on September 14, 2020 at 1:00pm. Both new and renewal memberships will be eligible.
The criteria for eligibility is simple and we ask that you only request a subsidized membership rate if your employment as a Child and Youth Care Practitioner was directly affected as a result of the pandemic. This includes but is not limited to those who experienced:
- Layoff with recall
- Layoff without recall
- Reduction in employment hours
You do not need to have a current or past membership with the Association to apply, however you must be eligible for membership (see https://www.oacyc.org/membership for criteria).
Below are the membership categories along with the amount of memberships per category that will be subsidized by 50%:
- Student and Full Professional Member Pursuing Further Education (100 Memberships)
- Full Professional Certified New Graduate (165 Memberships)
- Full Professional and Full Professional Certified (230 Memberships)
This initiative is being offered on a first come, first serve basis. An announcement will be made on the Association’s social media platforms when each category subsidy is used in full.
Accessing a Subsidized Membership
To keep the process simple, we are utilizing an honour system in the request.
To access a subsidized membership for 2020-2021, beginning Monday September 14, 2020 at 1:00pm: please do not complete an application on the website, but rather email your request for a subsidy to firstname.lastname@example.org. Our office will follow up via email with next steps for discounted payment. You are not required to explain your situation.
MAINTAINING YOUR MEMBERSHIP
To maintain your Full Membership in the OACYC, you are required to complete at least one (1) professional development (PD) activity per year.
For a PDF Download of the Professional Development Guidelines please click here.
All Full Members have proven they meet a specific standard for entry into the profession (in terms of education/ training) when they join the OACYC. But as a professional association, we also want to assure the public, and be able to prove, that our members are maintaining this standard and remaining current in the field. That is why all renewing members receive the attached form. There are four (4) basic expectations regarding the form:
- At least one (1) professional development activity is to be outlined on it; OR, if you received a certificate of participation or similar proof of attendance at a workshop, simply send us a copy, as long as it includes 1) your name, 2) the topic/title of the workshop, 3) the date(s) of the workshop.
- Please report professional development activity that you have completed within the past 12 months.
- Members who attend OACYC training can count their attendance as their one (1) professional development activity. You can include any activity that you feel expanded your knowledge or skills, such as:
- Conferences, workshops, and seminars
- Reading books, viewing videos and other media
- Taking courses (university, college, private institutes, etc.)
- Volunteer experiences (beyond the basic requirements of your job)
We ask that you:
- Briefly describe the activity; in the case of workshops, books, videos, meetings, special events /projects, courses taken, etc., giving complete/specific details.
- Briefly say how this activity expanded your knowledge/skill. This should involve:
- Naming/describing the knowledge/skill
- Explaining how your knowledge/skill was expanded/altered
- Stating how this new knowledge/skill relates to you in your present position/role or your future goals
Without proof, membership cannot be provided.